Waiting for “SUPERMAN”: How We Can Save America’s Failing Public Schools
The American public school system is in crisis, failing millions of students, producing as many drop-outs as graduates, and threatening our economic future. By 2020, the United States will have 123 million high-skill jobs to fill—and fewer than 50 million Americans qualified to fill them.
Educators, parents, political leaders, business people, and concerned citizens are determined to save our educational system. Waiting for “Superman” offers powerful insights from some of those at the leading edge of educational innovation,
- Bill and Melinda Gates, whose foundation’s groundbreaking work reshapes how schools select, train, support, and reward teachers
- Geoffrey Canada, leader of the Harlem Children’s Zone, which is demonstrating that kids from even the most challenging backgrounds can learn
- Michelle Rhee, the remarkable chancellor of the Washington, D.C., schools, who is challenging tradition as she brings reform to a troubled system
- Randi Weingarten, head of the American Federation of Teachers, who is working to make her union a major force for change on behalf of students
- Bill Strickland, founder of the Manchester Craftsmen’s Guild, who explains how an effective school can bring hope to an entire depressed neighborhood
- Eric Schwarz, creator of the Citizen Schools movement, who shows the vital role ordinary people are playing in transforming America’s schools
- Jay Mathews, the nation’s leading education reporter, who recounts the lessons he’s learned about how excellent schools are really built
- Eric Hanushek, renowned educational researcher, who has documented the impact that great teachers have on kids’ achievement
- Davis Guggenheim and Lesley Chilcott, filmmakers who describe the emotional impact of following the children’s stories in their film
Waiting for “Superman” is an inspiring call for reform and includes special chapters that provide resources, ideas, and hands-on suggestions for improving the schools in your own community as well as throughout the nation.
For parents, teachers, and concerned citizens alike, Waiting for “Superman” is an essential guide to the issues, challenges, and opportunities facing America’s schools.